Villupuram (also Villupuram and Vizhupuram) is one of the thirty districts which make up Tamil Nadu state situated on the southern tip of India. The district headquarters is located at Villupuram. Villupuram district came into existence on 30 September 1993 when it was created out of South Arcot district. Villupuram is the largest district in the state.
From the 1st to the 4th centuries CE the Chola were the rulers of the area, Karikala Chola was the most famous and powerful individual of the time. The grip of Chola rule was broken when the Cholas were overthrown by Simha Vishnu Pallava and the region came under the Pallava rule. Vijayalaya Chola again revived Chola rule. This was the beginning of great Chola Empire.
Cholas regained their lost position but with the rise of Jatavarman Sundara Pandya-1 (1251), Chola supremacy came to an end. The sway of Pandyas lasted for over 50 years, followed by Muslim domination from 1334 to 1378. By 1378, the region came under the rule of Vijayanagara Empire and Nayaks were appointed as the rulers of the region.
In 1677 Shivaji took the Gingee area with the assistance of Golkonda forces. Then came the Mughals. During the Mughal regime, both the English and French acquired settlements in South Arcot. During the Anglo-French rivalry, the entire district was turned into a battleground. After sometime, the entire area came under the control of British East India Company. It remained under British authority till 1947 when India became independent.
The district occupies an area of 7217 km².
Villupuram district has 8 taluks.
Villupuram district had a population of 2,960,373 as per the 2001 census. It is only 14.42% urbanised.It has a literacy rate of 64.68%.